How to make the 80 / 20 rule your secret weapon!
Have you heard of the 80/20 rule? Also known as Pareto’s Principle? It’s It is a phenomenon of nature that 20 percent of the activities you do create 80% of your results. It’s a great rule to apply to any area of life – just ask yourself, “What are the things that really matter?”
80 20 rule(Image Courtesy of http://www.pareto-chart.com)
Get clear about what will really matter on my journey to achieving my goals.
- What moves the needle most?
- Where does the greatest long-term success come from?
- What are the time wasters?
- What is a lot of activity but gets no real progress?
- Where should I focus my time, energy, and effort to make real progress?
Questions to help you apply the 80 /20 rule to maximum benefit in your life:
- What are the top 3 activities in my life that bring me the greatest joy and sense of aliveness?
- Who are the top 3 people in my life that give me the greatest inspiration, energy and fun?
- What are the top 3 skills in my business/career that create the most results?
- What do I need to say “no” to and eliminate from my life?
- What are the tasks you do regularly that drain your energy and aren’t worth doing anymore? Can these tasks be outsourced or delegated? (I.e. cleaning, ironing, etc)
- Apply the 4D rule. In this order what tasks must you Delete, Delegate, Defer or Do?
When I do my weekly planning every sunday I review my upcoming schedule using the 80/20 rule and ensure it is driven by what will create the results I am looking for each area of life and my business.
Start applying the 80 / 20 rule in your life and your business and notice your results improve instantly!